This butter chicken recipe is full of spice but mild and creamy enough that even the kids will enjoy eating it.
The ingredient of Butter chicken
- 1 1/2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 600g chicken thigh fillets, excess fat trimmed, quartered
- 20g butter
- 1 brown onion, cut into thick wedges
- 2cm-piece fresh ginger, peeled, shredded
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 x 7cm cinnamon stick (see note)
- 2 teaspoons ground paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli powder
- 185ml (3/4 cup) passata (tomato pasta sauce)
- 125ml (1/2 cup) Massel chicken style liquid stock
- 150g green round beans
- 2 tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 80ml (1/3 cup) thickened cream
- 60ml (1/4 cup) Greek-style yoghurt
- 2 teaspoons cornflour
- 25g (1/4 cup) flaked almonds, toasted
- Natural yoghurt, extra, to serve
- Fresh coriander sprigs, to serve
- Saffron rice or steamed rice, to serve
The instruction how to make Butter chicken
- Heat a wok over high heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and heat until smoking. Add half the chicken. Stir-fry for 3-4 minutes or until golden. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with the remaining chicken, reheating the wok between batches.
- Heat the remaining oil and butter in the wok. Add the onion, ginger and garlic. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes or until onion softens. Add the cinnamon, paprika, ground coriander, cumin, garam masala and chilli powder, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds or until aromatic. Add the chicken and toss to coat.
- Add the passata, stock, beans and tomato. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.
- Combine the cream, yoghurt and cornflour in a small bowl. Add to the wok and simmer for 2 minutes or until the mixture thickens.
- Serve the curry with the almonds, extra yoghurt, fresh coriander and rice.
Nutritions of Butter chickenfatContent: 466.05 calories
saturatedFatContent: 31 grams fat
carbohydrateContent: 12 grams saturated fat
sugarContent: 11 grams carbohydrates
fibreContent: 8 grams sugar
cholesterolContent: 34 grams protein
sodiumContent: 154 milligrams cholesterol